Saturday, July 16, 2011

Google+


Hello Libraryland Friends,
 Most of you have probably already heard about Google+. I had seen a few little tidbits about it, mostly facebook status saying "Oooooh love Google+." or "Not getting Google+". When I got to work on Tuesday, one of the other librarians was explaining it to some of us. She described it as Skype meets FB. My thoughts? "I don't need another social network to become addicted too." So I decided no Google+ for me.....until I got home and there was an invite waiting on me. Then I promptly joined and have been spending the last few days trying to understand conquer Google+. What have I learned? Not a whole lot, but I am still trying. I spend time today actually doing some research on Google+ from those who have been able to put some key points together.

What I like:
  • The Video Chat
  • The different circles
  • you can see how certain people view your profile
  • its not overwhelming
  • Its exclusive
Cons?
  • Like any new fad, it takes a minute to figure out.
  • Not a lot of people have joined so I haven't seen a lot of new information yet.
I did find a need little slideshow that gives you several highlights of Google+, 10 Google+ Tips

Random fact? over 80% of Google+ users, as of right now, are male....

Also, I have noticed that some websites allow for a +1 feature when wanting to share an article. I have added this feature to this blog. Any thoughts on Google+ ?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from another librarian in training! :) I've also recently joined Google+, and I love the circles feature regarding more control over posting status updates. I personally chose to use it as a more professional social outlet, and hope to save my facebook for more personal and family related things.

I have not used the hangout feature yet, but it sounds interesting. I can see how that might be useful. Right now I'm mainly just playing with it and seeing how it goes.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design