Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan by Seth Rudestsky

My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan by Seth Rudestsky
Random House, Jan. 2012.
288 pages

Justin Goldblatt is tired of being the unpopular kid in high school. Sure there are about six kids that he is more popular than, but Justin dreams of being the guy that everyone wants to be. So he devises a plan. First he needs to get Chuck the quarterback to notice him. With a quarterback as a boyfriend, Justin will be unstoppable. Too bad is plan is destined to fail.


  My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan is the first novel by Seth Rudestsky, who is a Broadway actor and SiriusXM radio host. The one thing that really irked me about Rudestsky’s writing style was his tendency to insert absolutely random pieces of information that did nothing for the story. His writing didn’t really have a style to it. It lacked feeling. I wasn’t invested in the storyline and I felt like I needed adderall to keep up with his writing. I would end up skimming 10 to 15 pages, because I knew that I would still be able to keep up with the storyline. The premise behind the storyline is interesting, especially when Justin has to pretend to be the boyfriend of Becky, the most popular girl in school. Now add in the fact that Becky is the secret girlfriend of Chuck, the object of Justin's affection, and you have a recipe for disaster for poor Justin. The two supporting characters of Spencer and Becky did help keep the story grounded, but the main character of Justin was more annoying than relatable

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design