Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

By Kody Keplinger
Pub. Date: June 5, 2012
Pages: 304
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars - Okay.

Urgh, I was so looking forward to this book. I love Kody Keplinger's work. I picked up The DUFF at a YA book sale and fell in love with her characters and writing. When Shut Out came out, I was hooked again. I love that her characters are real. Real problems, they talk like normal teenagers do, and they have sex. Real. Plus the fact that Keplinger is so young, I love her fresh perspectives on situations. So when Barnes and Noble sent me A Midsummer's Nightmare 3 weeks before the street day I was beyond stoked! (Sidenote, I did write to BN to let them know their mistake. Street dates are there for a reason, no matter how awesome it is to get a copy early).

Now, the actual review. Sigh. I wanted to love this book more than anything.... but I couldn't. Reason? The main character Whitley was just beyond annoying. If you are going to make your main character a bitch, you need to make her either lovable or redeemable. Also, Keplinger had too many factors into the storyline. There was alcohol abuse, cyberbulling, daddy issues, dealing with divorce, etc. etc. and then you add a romance into the mix? Way too much going on. It needed to be simplified. The storyline itself was awesome. Girl hooks up with random guy for one night stand and then he turns out to be her future stepbrother? That little blurb was enough for me to pre-order this book. Remember, I am a librarian, so buying books is a huge deal for us.

I didn't fall for the romance. I didn't think the character of Nathan had much going for him. I needed to know more about him. I did think the ending was open enough for a sequel, which I would read. I do not think all Whitley's issues were resolved at the end of the book (mainly regarding her relationship with her mother). 

If you have never read any of Keplinger's books, go get The Duff... It is awesome. A Midsummer's Nightmare? Not so much.


Second Sidenote, her next book, Goldfish, looks awesome. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design