Monday, August 11, 2014

The Internship Movie Review

            When I first saw the trailer for The Internship, starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, you know what I thought? “That movie is going to be dumb and there is no way I’m going to watch it.”  I did like Wedding Crashers but other than that movie I am not fans of Vaughn or Wilson – separate or together. The movie is about two middle aged men who are let go from their sales job. They somehow manage to score internships at Google, with the promise of a fulltime job if their internship team succeeds and wins the intern competition.

     First off, let me state that I’m not a huge fan of comedies. I rarely see them in movie theatre because I never know if it will be absolutely terrible…and then I feel like an idiot for wasting my money. I don’t actively hate comedies…I just don’t seek them out. That being said…I have a boyfriend who absolutely loves them. The dumber the better. We rarely watch movies together due to our opposite schedules but he decided to investigate the new free movies that were on the On Demand feature. He selected The Internship and I grimaced. I remembered the premise from the trailer and knew I would soon be going to bed.

      Surprisingly, I actually paid attention. Yes, there were plenty of moment of Wilson and Vaughn shouting out random words which can be mistaken for comedy. Underneath that was an underlining problem of adults who think they cannot compete with today’s youth in the job market. I see this every day. I’m constantly assisting seniors or middle-age new unemployed patrons fill out job applications. Sometimes I find myself thinking that there isn’t a way that they can compete with the 20-something year olds that are entering the job market. Hell, those 20-somethnig year olds scare me and I am one of them.

    While this movie isn’t much to write home about, it is not that bad…which surprised the hell out of me. I expected the lowest of the low (I’m talking about you, Year One!) so I will admit that I enjoyed the movie. I thought the scenes where they are working on their internship with Google were entertaining. Yes, the typical banter between Wilson and Vaughn, which they are known for, is there and if you don’t like that…it can be overlooked…or fast forwarded through. Overall, if you are looking for something lighthearted then I would say give The Internship a shot. Remember, don’t expect much and you’ll find that its not that bad! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design