Monday, January 10, 2011

Book Order (Beginning)

So like I mentioned earlier, for my long term assignment I was given a book budget ($500 - $750) to order books with!

This is extremely important because my choices will permanently be part of this collection. There are several parts that I need to look for when searching for new books:

1. I need to check the system to make sure a particular book that I wanted wasn't already part of the collection. I know this seems like a "duh" moment, but it is very important when working with a limited budget. If I accidentally order another copy of Billy Bob's Book on Bookworms, when we already have one that is potentially $20 wasted.

2. If I wanted to order a sequel or another part of a series (which I do) I need to ensure that the originally copy is circulating.

3. Look to see what areas need improving or developing

4. Ask professional opinions of other colleagues to see what is becoming popular and what they might recommend.

Ok, as I looked over this library I noticed there wasn't a graphic novel section. I asked Mrs. M about it and she said that they did have a few but they were shelved in the regular fiction collection. She mentioned that she would like to shelve them separately because she believed and I agreed that they would circulate more if the students could spot them easily.

I have compiled a short list so far of the books that I would like to add to my book order. Here is what I have as of right now:

- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein (I have never heard of this book or author, but M the library Aid specifically asked me to order this because he is said it was awesome.)

- The Sandman Volumes 2-8 by Neil Gaiman (This is where checking the circulation of books is important because we have volume 1, but not the rest. Luckily it has good enough circulation that merits ordering the rest of the series)

- Georgia Nicolson Series by Louise Rennison - This series is one of 10. Now I wasn't orgingally planning on ordering all ten, but I am still debating. My library has books #2 and #8 in the series, which kind of surprise me. I am thinking that I should order books 1, 3-7, and 9-10. This series is a personal favorite of mine!

- Luna by Julie Anne Peters

- Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman

- How To Take The Ex Out Of Ex-Boyfriend by Janette Rallison

- The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger - I recently read this debut novel by 18 yr old Keplinger and loved it! I talked with Mrs. M about what is acceptable material for a public school because the story centers about a girl who develops a friends with benefits relationship with a hot guy at her school. I didn't know if the storyline of teens opening having sex would be a suitable addition to the collection. Mrs. M said that even though we belonged to a conservative community, nothing had ever been challenged in her 20 years there. I really enjoyed the conversation we had about challenged books and controversial materials.

- Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu

- World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (recommended by Mollie and the sales guy at 2nd & Charles)

- Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (Laurie recommended this book to me a while ago and though its on my to be read (tbr) list, I thought it would be a nice addition.

- The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds (Graphic Novel)

- Beowulf by Gareth Hinds (Graphic Novel)

- King Lear by Gareth Hinds (Graphic Novel)

- Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Heard amazing things about this one, though I haven't had the opportunity to start it myself. )

- Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

- Shattering Glass by Gail Giles (Cause who doesn't love a good bullying story?)

- Maze Runner by James Dashner

- The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

- Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (Um, Printz award?)

- Stolen: A Letter To My Captor by Lucy Christopher (Loved!)

- The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Francisco X. Stork



Some of these books might get cut to make room for others. Not all of these books are YA, some are adult, but this HS's collection is made up of a mixture of both. Like I said, this is all I have right now. I intend to consult some people on graphic novels, but I am a fan of Gareth Hinds, so I added 3 of his works. Remember, if you are thinking why did I add Popular Book #1 or Popular Book #132, I had to cross reference with out existing collection. If you have ANY suggestions, please let me know!!! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design