Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Book Group Selecting

I know it seems far away but 2013 is slowly creeping up on me, especially when it comes to the book group.

For those who aren't familiar, I took over my library book group back in February. Since then a new head of Adult has created two additional groups, but I was able to keep mine. The previous moderator only held the group 9 months out of the year (Sept to May), so that was the first thing I changed. Back in March we voted for books for June to Dec. 2012. Let me say, I loved this. I took to Twitter and posted the polling results as the members voted via surveymonkey. Very exciting! 
  
How the selecting process works is that I compile a list of books from tons of research. I also allow members to nominate books.  We read mostly fiction, but I do like to have at least 3 nonfiction scattered in there. There I weed out books on my list and their suggests that don't work (ie, too many pages, repeat author, previously read books, etc.) then I post the selections online and let them pick a certain number. From the results, I decided on the final list. 

I have already started taking selections, but I wanted to post the list that I compiled. Here it is so far....

Fiction:
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Spring Fever by Mary Kay Andrew
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The World in Half by Cristina Henriquez
A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson
Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips
Causal Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
The Thirteen Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon
Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson
Maisie Dobbs  by Jacqueline Winspear

Nonfiction:

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote                                                                                                             

The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared by Alice Ozma                                         

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roa                                                                

Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus  by Bill Wasik  and Monica Murphy


I want to do a Teen book every year and our current 2012 YA book is Hunger Games. I am secretly pulling for The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian for 2013, though maybe someone will suggest Catching Fire. I know that there is one book from this list that will be removed because I double checked the page number and it went over the usual and preferred 300 to 400 page limit. 

I will post another list soon with the new picks from the group. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design