Monday, October 28, 2013

Recipe: Roasted Parmesan Broccoli

I have been trying to experiment more with my cooking by trying new recipes with different ingredients. Broccoli is a staple in my house. My BF is a picky eater (though he denies it) and broccoli is one of the 4 vegetables he will eat. Usually I just serve it steamed with a little butter and some pepper (or Mrs. Dash). Simple enough.

A few weeks ago I was doing my some grocery shopping in Publix when I tried one of their Aprons Simple Meals (you know the ones they cook in the store and put all the ingredients right there for you to buy). The sample was of fish and scallop saute with roasted parmesan broccoli.

Fish and Scallop Saute With Roasted Parmesan Broccoli

The fish was decent, but I knew that BF wouldn't eat the fish so I didn't even entertain the idea of cooking it. But I liked the broccoli so I grabbed the recipe card threw it into the black hole that is my purse. Fast forward about 2 months later when I am forced to clean out my purse. I almost threw the recipe card away when I remembered the broccoli. I decide to save it from the trash and actually try it.

Here is the recipe: 
Ingredients
Aluminum foil
1 bunch fresh broccoli (3-4 stalks), halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Asiago peppercorn dressing
3/4 cup refrigerated Italian cheese bread crumb mix

Prep

  • Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with foil.
  • Cut 2-inches off bottom of each stalk; cut stalks in half lengthwise.
Steps
  1. Place broccoli on baking sheet; drizzle with oil. Bake 10 minutes.
  2. Turn broccoli; bake 13-15 more minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
  3. Spread dressing over broccoli; sprinkle with bread crumb mix. Bake 1-2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve.

CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 160kcal; FAT 10g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 290mg; CARB 13g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 6g; VIT A 40%; VIT C 130%; CALC 15%; IRON 6%
When I cook, I prefer people tell me the name brands...mainly so I know I am buying the right thing. With the Asiago peppercorn dressing, I found Marie's version in the produce section and let me tell you how amazing this dressing is. It is beyond delicious and I can't wait to find more recipes to incorporate it into. 



Now when it came to finding the refrigerated Italian Cheese Bread Crumb mix, I figured I found need some assistance from an employee. I had no idea what this was. I rarely branch out from staple ingredients with cooking, so I didn't have a clue what I was looking for. I went to the cheese section and if it was a snake it would have bit me. I had never heard of the Kraft Fresh Takes, which is a special blend of cheese and bread crumbs that can spice up your cooking.

Now on to the actual cooking part. I'm not a big fan of the stalks on broccoli so I didn't leave as much as Publix recommended. Also, watch your time on the broccoli. I found that the recommended time at the 425 temperature wasn't right for me. The broccoli easily started to burn. Next time I will lower the temperature and cook it longer. 
Still looks delicious right? Well because it is! The asiago peppercorn dressing really brought everything together. And let me tell you, this broccoli is better the 2nd day! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design