Saturday, November 2, 2013

Movie Review: What Maisie Knew

It seems like forever ago since I have reviewed a movie. It’s not that I’m not watching any good movies, I just really haven’t been watching any movies. I have good intentions though. I usually check out 1 or 2 a week from work, but then they just sit on the kitchen table. Then I feel bad because they could be circulating way more if I returned them….plus I would much rather read.

That being said, I was quite excited when I found out that my library purchased a copy of What Maisie Knew. I saw the trailer a few months ago courtesy of IMDB. It is based on the Henry James’ novel of the same name, which was originally published in 1897.



Doesn’t it seem like a beautiful and heart wrenching story?

The main reason I was excited to see What Maisie Knew? Alexander Skarsgård. I was first introduced to Mr. Skarsgård as Eric from True Blood. He is quite swoon worthy and I have decided to move him onto my list of men (5) that I can leave my BF for. But that is a whole other story.

The trailer is a little misleading because it makes you think that a romance blooms between Skarsgård’s character and the mom, played by Julianne Moore. Then the hussy stealing nanny comes into play. I don’t want to give anything away, but the trailer is a little deceptive. The cover is also misleading. I think TPTB (the powers that be) were trying to play on Moore’s status as an A-list actress. She does have strong lead, but Joanna Vanderham (the nanny/stepmother Margo) holds her own as well. Onata Aprile stars as Maisie and this young powerhouse will haunt you with her subtleness.

The story is gut retching and heartwarming. On one side you are watching two biological characters completely ruin this sweet girl’s childhood and probably her life with their petty vindictiveness and their astounding selfishness. To counter that, you have two young adults who have no biological connection to Maisie, but fall in love with her and try to counteract the absurdity of her parents.

Will you laugh? Yes

Will you cry? Probably

Will you get a happy ending? Undoubtedly so

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design