Saturday, September 21, 2013

Julius Caesar on audio book, you say?

To advertize any upcoming programs or special events at my library we have an old fashioned sign by the road. To update the sign, two staff members have to go outside and take off the old letters and replace them with the new events. The whole process takes about 20 to 30 minutes and it is a great way to get out of the library….unless a patron decides to follow you!

Last week I was outside changing the sign with one of my coworkers when we realized we left out one of the letters. I continued to update the sign as she ran inside to get the missing letter. When she came back she mentioned that there was a patron inside complaining about us not having Julius Caesar by Shakespeare on audio book. Since I am in charge of the classic books, I made a mental note to order it in audio the next time we do an order. Mental note was made and I went back to the task at hand.

Next thing I hear was “Excuse me! Excuse me!” I look up to see a woman coming out from the library and heading directly towards me by the road. She looked pretty angry and I wasn’t too thrilled that a patron was looking for me.

Patron: You don’t have Julius Caesar on audio book. I need Julius Caesar on audio book.

Me (I decided to play dumb just because this woman was ruining my little 30 minute escape): Excuse me?

Patron: You don’t have Julius Caesar on audio book. I need Julius Caesar on audio book.

Me: I’m very sorry, ma’am.

Patron: Well the Smithville Library has it, but this county doesn’t lend audio books and I need Julius Caesar on audio book. She has to listen to Julius Caesar on audio book. Why don’t you have Julius Caesar on audio book? I think it is completely ridiculous that you don’t have Julius Caesar on audio book!

I thought it was completely ridiculous how many times she was saying “Julius Caesar on audio book”, but that is not the point. The point is she was ruining my time away from the library. I go outside to get away from patrons and I don’t want them following me outside with their silly complaints.


Soapbox over. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Content © The Librarian. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Infusion Design